IMAGE Science Objective (cont.)
- Quantitative measurement of the structure and dynamics of the magnetopause, boundary layers, cusp, plasmapause and plasmaspheric outliers
- Global topology of the magnetopause
- Polar cap convection pattern
RPI supporting observations:
- Detection of the Kelvin-Helmholtz instability at the magnetopause: support simultaneous auroral observations by FUV
- Plasmapause/sphere erosion and refilling: support related EUV observations
What is the directly driven response of the magnetosphere to solar wind changes?