Increase solar wind pressure or reconnection can change the position of the magnetopause by several Re
- Large scale magnetosphere reconfiguration occurs
- First indication of a geomagnetic storm or substorm will occur
Reconnected magnetic field lines allow solar wind plasma to enter into the magnetosphere
A boundary layer of plasma is found Earthward of the magnetopause
Questions that remain to be answered:
- What is the mapping of magnetopause field lines back to the Earth?
- What is the origin and dynamics of the boundary layer?
- Where does solar wind plasma that enters in the magnetosphere go?
- Does reconnection occur as small scale or large scale phenomena?
- Do large scale surface waves form on the magnetopause and how do they propagate?